Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

I tagged this book as contemporary romance, although it truly doesn't fit neatly into this category. There aren't any swoon worthy young men who entice a young lady to take a midnight stroll on a beach or dance under a starlit sky.

Instead, we are introduced to a reclusive man who struggles to find a reason to continue living after a tragic accident has left him as a paraplegic. His caretaker, Lousia, is a 26 year old woman with few aspirations and is content to live a simple life in her quaint little town. When Louisa is hired to become Will's caregiver, she finds herself engaged in a battle of wills and begins doubting the decisions she has made in her life. Her relationship with Will gradually transforms into a beautiful friendship and he opens her eyes to the world around her.

I can't say that this is the most entertaining book ever written and the story definitely has a tendency to be melodramatic. However, it left an impression on me and I found myself thinking about it long after I had finished reading it. It's a love story that is quite unforgettable.