The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West

Have you ever read a book that seems like it was written specifically for you?

It's been a while since I have felt this way about a book, but A Distance Between Us is one of those books for me. It isn't really an atypical story for a contemporary romance, but the characters are distinct and the dialogue is quite stellar.

This is a story that is reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice in that a fiercely independent and opinionated young woman is trapped in a working-class type of family and she is harshly judgmental of the wealthy customers who frequent her mother's business. One day, a good-looking young man enters her life who is spoiled and accustomed to getting his way. Caymen is different and he wants to be her friend, but she's resistant to his charms and refuses to give him special treatment on the basis of his family name.

Here's the thing: I really like spunky heroines. The main character is sarcastic and uses humor to avoid having tough conversations. I'm usually annoyed by people who endlessly use sarcasm because there always comes a point when their humor and jokes become mean, but I never found Caymen's quips to be vindictive. I love a heroine that is a sweet person and can make me laugh, and Caymen is someone I could relate to a lot because she doesn't wear her emotions for the world to see. She's flawed, reserved, quirky and beautiful.

The story's resolution felt a little bit rushed to me. However, this was one of the most enjoyable books I read this summer and I am looking forward to reading other works by this author.