Friday Night Alibi by Cassie Mae

Friday Night Alibi - Cassie Mae

Well, Friday Night Alibi by Cassie Mae was certainly a pleasant surprise.

I think the cover looks kind of cheesy and the models used to depict the main characters do not capture how Chase and Kelli are characterized in the story. This issue aside, I was looking for a light-hearted love story with humorous moments and this book definitely delivered.

I think Kelli could be an off-putting character for some readers because she is shallow and very spoiled, but she's also sympathetic because she is so isolated from the rest of the world and doesn't permit herself to form close emotional attachments to the people around her. And then there's Chase - he's definitely a keeper. I will say, however, that this story was a bit simple. The book was cute, but it didn't necessarily wow me. I found the supporting characters to be utterly forgettable. I wouldn't even be able to tell you the name of Kelli's "best friend." I know she had the one gal pal and they have some sort of ice cream ritual any time they kiss a boy for the first time, but that's about all I could say on the subject.

This book is supposed to be a new adult (NA) romance, but I don't fully comprehend why it is being marketed this way. Teens would be a more appropriate target audience since the protagonist and her love interest are so inexperienced with dating and relationships. I've actually read YA novels that contain much steamier love scenes than this book. I don't think the fact that Kelli graduated from high school a semester early and her boyfriend is a college student warrants the NA designation.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher, Flirt, for allowing me to read an Advance Readers Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.