Review: Unhinged (Splintered # 2) by A.G. Howard

Unhinged  - A.G. Howard

***Please note this review contains spoilers for Splintered, the first book in this series***

Alyssa Gardner's thought process in Unhinged can be summed up as follows:

"Morpheus is evil.  I'm human and it's perfectly acceptable for me to shirk my Wonderland responsibilities.  Wonderland, what's that anyway?  I'm done with that place.  I love Jeb - he is my whole world and I cannot exist without him.  We're going to live in London together and go to art school, but I'm super jealous if Jeb has a minute conversation with another woman or spends time with a female client and I'm not present.  I love Jeb, not Morpheus.  I'm going to prom with Jeb, the love of my life.  Jeb and I, we are a team and we will live together forever.  Morpheus is evil (but sometimes alluring).  However, I love Jeb.  I love Jeb.  I love Jeb  I love Jeb.  He is my life...."

If you aren't annoyed yet, here's an actual quote from Alyssa 58 pages into the story: "Jeb's mine.  Mine.  Mine.  Mine."

I cannot emphasize how much I wish this book wasn't written.  I may pretend I never read it.  While Splintered wasn't flawless and I was never a fan of Jeb + Alyssa, I accepted their inevitable relationship and never really thought of Morpheus as a realistic love-interest - Alyssa's choice is evident.  I loved the Wonderland adventures, and thought the story was wrapped-up nicely.

Now, I loathe Jebediah Holt.  His existence has turned Alyssa into a scatter-brained idiot who thinks of nothing beyond her love-toy.  It's as if Wonderland never happened and all that character development from the first book evaporates.  Alyssa is not a kick-ass queen of the Red Court.  No, she's a wishy-washy ditz of a teenager who completely suppresses her Wonderland instincts and identity.  It's a complete regression.

This book is pure romance and angst.  If that's your thing, then you will probably enjoy reading Unhinged.  However, please note the story doesn't take place in Wonderland this time around.  Instead, parts of Wonderland bleed into the human world as Alyssa ignores her responsibilities and pretends to be something she's not.

This is one of the most disappointing books I've read in a while.  The only reason it gets a rating above 1-star is because the few moments of Wonderland lore we receive are truly great.  We see glimpses of Sister One and Two, Chessie, Rabid White, Queen Red, Mr. Lamb and the Shop of Human Eccentricities, Ivory, and of course, Morpheus.  Morpheus remains the most interesting character in the entire series, but I'm not sure his presence and storyline provides enough motivation for me to read the next book when it's released.