Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Froi of the Exiles - Melina Marchetta

Never have I read a fantasy novel that has simultaneously caused such profound feelings of glee and anguish. The plot of Froi of the Exiles is stellar and the transformation the title character undergoes is indescribable. Each time I read this story I'm instantly captivated. I approached my initial reading of this book with a lot of trepidation because Froi is not at all likeable in Finnickin of the Rock. In fact, there are moments when he's downright despicable.

I can say without a single ounce of hesitation that Froi has become one of my favorite characters ever written. Before our eyes, this broken and savage boy becomes a young man that steals our hearts. His loyalties to the loved ones he left behind in Lumatere and those he meets in Charyn entangle, and Froi must follow his heart and do what he feels is right even if it means breaking his Lumateran bond.

There is no one that can write dialogue like Melina Marchetta. Any scene involving Arjuro, Gargarin, Lirah, Quintana, and Froi was such a pleasure to read. These characters are seriously flawed and dysfunctional, yet they have so much passion and love for each other.

Froi of the Exiles is a lengthy book, but so worth the time it takes to read it. If you're looking for an adventurous story with amazing character development, then this series is a must-read.